Omurice is fried rice wrapped in egg omelette. It’s a fusion dish that combines Asian fried rice with Western omelette and ketchup. The dish started in Japan and spread to other Asian countries, including Korea. This dish has gained widespread popularity after the release of this famous Korean drama called Rooftop Prince. Besides if you are someone who follow Japanese anime or k drama you most often find kids and adults making this dish which not only looks appealing but also tastes extremely delicious. So here is a simple recipe to make omelette rice which also allows you to explore a new cuisine if you are tired preparing your regular meals.
Serving size: 2
Cooking time: 30 minutes
· ½ onion
· 1 boneless skinless chicken thighs
· 1 Tbsp. olive oil
· ½ cup mixed vegetables
· kosher/sea salt (use half for table salt)
· Freshly ground black pepper
· 1½ cups cooked short grain rice
· 1 Tbsp ketchup (and more for decoration)
· 1 tsp soy sauce
· 2 large egg
· 2 Tbsp milk
· 2 Tbsp olive oil
· 6 Tbsp sharp cheddar cheese
1. Get done with chopping of onions, other veggies and cutting the chicken breast to bite-size. Heat the olive oil in a shallow fry pan and add the onions. Saute till it is soft and translucent.
2. Now add the chicken pieces to it and cook until it turns white and appears cooked. (cook well until done) and add the mixed chopped vegetables and season with salt, pepper powder and the chicken seasoning.
3. Next add the cooked rice and mix well till combined. If using leftover rice, remember to break the rice lightly with fingers, to facilitate mixing with other ingredients.
4. Next add the soya sauce, chilli sauce and mix well and set it aside. Now whisk the eggs and milk in a bowl.
5. Heat oil over a medium heat. Pour the egg mixture and spread it well with ladle.
6. Once it starts getting cooked, after about 30 seconds on medium flame, sprinkle the shredded cheese and fried rice over the egg omlette
Fold the egg with spatula from the sides and transfer it to a plate by bringing it to the edge of the pan and garnish with ketchup