Technology for anything is the advancement of the current processes for given task. When we talk about technology in jobs we mean how automated a work can be, so that it increases the efficiency and enables cost reduction. In the name of effectiveness and efficiency machines have overpowered human effort in many sectors, and will continue to do so. What’s important is to know that technology upgrade has two aspects on jobs: that is how it has helped in making the job of the employees easier and the other is howithas reduced the number of jobs available or negative impact on the jobs.
How technology has reducedjobs?
The major positive impact of technology is that it has lesser chances of errors , as compared to the human toil, and this could soon lead to most of the work of labour into AI (artificial intelligence) based systems of organisation and mass production, mostly of the manufacturing and the agriculture sector .
- Automation ofnot only the mundane tasks but also professional work performed by the highly paid workers,if the work being done by softwares leads to precise results saving money and time. The firm will end up needing less labour.
- Moreover, all workers will need to adapt, as their occupations evolve along side increasingly capable machines in order to work and earn. The pace of modern technological change is so rapid that many workers, unable to adjust, will simply become obsolete.
- The more and more technological aided work will lead to lesser labour , from the manufacturing to tertiaryevery sector will contribute to the reduced demand of labour. For example consider India a labour intensive country, if we adaptto capital intensive methods of production, the time will soon come when there are masses on road, demanding jobs. Hence, we should think of new ways to employ more and more labour rather than capital.
Arguments that Jobs will be increased due to technological advancements
- According toaresearch thisautomation will lead to more increase injobs than it will everdecrease. When Rajiv Gandhi was the Prime Minister he proposed tobring computer to India, he faced backlash from people that this will lead to decrease in employment, however, exactly the opposite happened.
- It is widely suggested that workers will have greater employment opportunities if their occupation undergoes some degree of computer automation. As long as they can learn to use the new tools, automation will be their friend. For example -when ATMs automated the tasks of bank tellersand when barcode scanners automated the work of cashiers,rather than contributing to unemployment, the number of workers in these occupations grew.
- With advent of new technologies industry experts see the need for skilled workers increasing in the short run and persisting for at least another decade. The experts call for training programs with a new curriculum and certifications to standardize emerging job classifications.
Enabling more people to harness the benefits from
technological advancements is in the best interest of any business or country. Continuous investment in technology without considering the impact on existing workforce could result in a host of other problems.
For a current shiftfromlack of conviction towards new technology to skilled workforce initiatives like betterretraining for workers who have lost their jobs to automation, and increased financial protections for those seeking new careers, are the recommended steps.